For a quick summer recipe that's easy to prepare, quesadillas are a great and nutritious choice. With black beans and cheese as sources of protein, fresh vegetables, and whole grain tortilla bread, it has all you need for a balanced meal.
Servings: 6 tortillas
Preparation time: 5 minutes
Cooking time: 6-8 minutes per tortilla
- 541 ml (1 can) of black beans (rinsed and dried)
- 1 finely diced sweet pepper (any colour)
- ½ red onion (finely chopped)
- About 350 ml of corn (fresh or canned)
- Coriander leaves if desired (finely chopped)
- 6 large whole wheat tortillas
- 2 cups of shredded cheddar cheese
- In a medium bowl, mix the black beans, diced sweet pepper, red onion, corn, and finely chopped coriander leaves.
- Place a tortilla in a large non-stick pan and add cheese on one half. Add the mix on the same half and fold in two. Cook over medium heat for 3 to 4 minutes on each side, or until the cheese has melted or the tortilla has browned.
- Serve warm with sour cream, guacamole or salsa.
You can also add the mix to a salad. It's a great way to use leftovers and create nutritious meals you can easily bring to work.